Sometimes I am amazed by my audacity. Why do I think I can write Valentine’s Day commandments? Well, I think we can all agree that these commandments are valid. I cannot feel the Valentine’s fever in the air this year, I am sure I’m not the only one feeling this way. Anyways, happy Valentine’s Day in advance ❤️.
Let’s get to the commandments, shall we?
1. You have to acknowledge the day. You can’t claim to love someone and not acknowledge a day dedicated to showing and appreciating love. Some people behave like the day does not exist. I know you’ll say, but I don’t need a particular day to celebrate love, it can be done everyday. To me, this is story because I know for sure nobody maintains the lovey dovey energy all day, everyday. The point is put in the extra effort that day to make your loved up feel special, appreciated and loved.
2. Valentine’s Day is beyond gift giving. Never let gifts giving replace the important things like intimacy, romance, quality time. Gifts are good but there are other ways to celebrate vals too. How about you spend that day getting intimate, spending quality time, reassuring your partner of your love towards them, doing things together and being affectionate.
3. Gift giving goes both ways. I feel some ladies are guilty of always being expectant without considering gifting their partners. Men shouldn’t be the only ones gifting, they are also deserving of gifts too .Giving and receiving goes both ways.
4. Appreciation and contentment is essential. Receiving a gift or some planned activity is a gesture. If you genuinely love the giver, you won’t find it difficult to appreciate it.
5. It is not your place to demand for gifts. Let the process happen naturally. Let your partner pick and choose how they decide to celebrate the day.
6. Valentine’s Day celebration is reserved for 14th of February alone. If your partner is genuinely busy or can’t make it that day you have a pass. However, if anyone treats you like an after thought or before thought, you are not celebrating valentines just so you know.
7. Time must be spent together on valentines. Again you get a pass for work related stuff and other extremely important things. However if you claim to love someone but you can’t both spend time together on valentines you are doing it wrong.
8. You shall own up to gifts you purchase for yourself. If no one has planned anything for you, go ahead and do something special for yourself and don’t lie that it is from anonymous. It’s nice to show yourself love.
9. You won’t make valentines a social media competition. You can choose to show your followers your activities and how you are celebrating the day but don’t compare your relationship to others online. Not all that glitters is gold.
10. You can always tell where you stand in a relationship on Valentine’s Day. It is either you get a clear pointer that you are headed in the right direction or you are wasting your time as usual. May the odds be in your favour.
I hope we can all agree to disagree on this post. If you have any commandments to add, feel free to do so in the comment section. If you disagree or have a different view, the comment section also awaits you.
Thank you for reading and feel free to share the post.